Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Finally some Concrete Answers

Finally Got some Concrete Info on Licensing!!!

Ok, so I finally found (with direction from some very supportive people) info on how to get my licensing done.  I live in Wisconsin, so I went to Wisconsin.gov and used their Build your Business wizard.  The wizard gives pretty clear questions about your objectives, and if you have questions there are usually links available to help.  The results page can be a little overwhelming, though.  However, I found that if you just take it one piece of information at a time you can find what you need after some looking.

Wisconsin.gov Build Your Business Homepage
IRS.gov FEIN Online Application Page
Anyway, I was directed to the Wisconsin Dept. of Revenue for a Sales and Use Tax ID #, and a Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN) from the IRS (irs.gov).  These forms are all online and after I finally found them (use the site's search menu if possible, though even that is hard to find on these government web sites, or you will be blindly clicking around all night), they were pretty straightforward and clear.  I filed as a sole proprietorship, as I am the only one at Tech-Ease right now and I don't plan on having employees for a while.  If I do, I can always change it as my business grows.

I finally got to Washburn County's Register of Deeds to apply for a Doing Business As name, and I need to drop that off ASAP (some counties can do it online, others aren't quite there yet but are working on it.  Unfortunately, Washburn county is not yet).  Then I just wait for papers to come back.

Wisconsin Register of Deeds Website
I am checking out an office in town, being offered to me by a friend of my family's, on Monday to see if it will be large enough and accessible enough for what I need, then I need to furnish it.  I will be starting out as cheap as possible, so pretty scanty furniture for the first little while (though the office will have a kitchen-style counter with cabinets installed soon, so I have that going), but I do need to make sure that I have the right kinds of furniture, as I know from experience that working with the proper tools makes all the difference in the world.  After I move in and get some inventory in the office I will have to take a second look and see what needs to be amended so that I can stay organized.  I am kind of a neat freak, so being clean and organized is important to me personally, but it's also important to the look and feel of my store and I don't want my clients walking into a disaster area, otherwise I would just work out of my house ;).

Just wanted to share the updated info with you guys, I hope it helps someone.  Just remember, it's really not as scary as it looks when you first start reading about licensing.  One form at a time, one license at a time, and before you know it you are already done and starting your dream. 

Keep at it, don't give up.  Focus, relax, and just take one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment